Saturday, June 9, 2007

Numéro Twenty

Last post on "I have nothing to say" you learned a little bit about my interest in Gordon Downie. If you are not familiar with this man, here is something from his website's biography section:
'While the occupation that Gord Downie lists on his passport is "musician", he could just as easily have cited "songwriter", "poet", "video director", or even, existentially speaking, "restless spirit".'
(http://www.wienerart.net/index_adv.html).
For this assignment, there was really no question in my mind that I had to add a video element and it would be of one of the best things I have watched recently on youtube. It is a late night CBC TV program(me) called The Hour and they recently devoted an entire special edition show to the Hip. Very nice interview, and of course, great music off their latest album. And, if you search youtube for "The Tragically Hip" you will find enough other things to watch and to listen to - enough to fill a weekend (trust me on this one) . And , by the way, the band are completely cool with people's recording their live shows and sharing the videos (and they always have been).
Now, what song shall I quote for this entry? So many to select from... but since the heat is the way it is at the moment, and with our home's A/C also being the way it is (sigh), here is the one for today:
"It's too hot to sleep. Let's gather 'round the fan.
We can't do nothin' 'bout the heat,
So let's just do what we can
And everything'll be just fine.
Just dream of the Lofty Pines."
Gordon Downie

No comments: